A participating non-profit hires Duke students directly and pays the students through the non-profit’s normal pay routine, with the understanding that work-study earnings are tax-exempt. Students receive paychecks through the non-profit, not through Duke.
Both federal work-study and Duke work-study students are eligible to work for a participating non-profit until they have earned their maximum work-study allocation.
For federal work-study students, the non-profit is reimbursed for 90% of the student’s earnings and is responsible for the remaining 10%. For Duke work-study students, the non-profit is reimbursed for 50% of the student’s earnings and is responsible for the remaining 50%.