Community-Engaged Scholarship Symposium
Friday, May 20th, 2022*
Para ver en español, vaya a la pestaña inferior derecha.
*This event has passed. We encourage you to read about our presenters and view mini-presentations.
Session 1: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Moderator: Sabrena Mervin-Blake, MS, CCRC, MCPC, Senior Staff Director in the Duke Clinical and Translational Science Initiative–Community Engaged Research Initiative
9:05 AM – 9:30 AM: Keynote Address by Dr. Wanda Boone, Founder of Together for Resilient Youth (TRY), member of the NC Adverse Childhood Experiences and Resilience Advisory Board, Health and Safety Chair of the Durham City/County Task Force
9:30 AM – 11:00 AM: Panel Discussion, “Partnering to Address Emergent Concerns”:
- Rev. Edgar Vergara Millán, Pastor & Executive Director of Iglesia la Semilla
- Dr. Irene C. Felsman DNP, MPH, RN, Assistant Professor in the Duke University School of Nursing, and a Faculty Affiliate of the Duke Global Health Institute
- Dr. Julius Wilder, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Duke University School of Medicine, Duke Clinical Research Institute, Department of Sociology at Duke
- Dr. B. Angeloe Burch, Sr., Executive Director for the African American Community Collaborative, Inc, Credentials Chair for the Inter-Denominational Ministerial Alliance of Durham and Vicinity, Adjunct Chaplain for Duke Regional Hospital, Trustee for the North Carolina Museum of Arts
- Karen Amspacher, Founding Director of the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center
- Dr. Liz DeMattia, Director and Founder of the Community Science Initiative at the Duke University Marine Lab
Lunch Break/Mini-Presentations: 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
11:00 AM – 12:30 PM: View Community-Engaged Scholarship mini-presentations.
Session 2: 12:30 PM – 3:15 PM
Moderator: Dr. Elizabeth Shapiro-Garza, Professor of the Practice of Environmental Policy and Management at the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University, Faculty Director for Engaged Scholarship through Duke Civic Engagement, Director for Community Engagement for the Duke University Superfund Research Center, Director of the graduate Certificate in Community-Based Environmental Management.
12:30 PM – 12:35 PM: Welcome Back by Leslie Parkins, Assistance Vice President and Director for Civic Engagement
12:35 PM – 1:00 PM: Keynote Address by Dr. Viviana Martinez-Bianchi, Associate Professor and Director of Health Equity in Duke University’s Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM: Panel Discussion, “Collaborating for Impact”:
- Xavier Cason, Director of Community Schools and School Transformation at the Durham Public Schools Foundation
- Alec Greenwald, Associate Director for Strategic and Special Initiatives to the Dean of Academic Affairs in the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences at Duke University
- Dr. Yolanda Dunston, Professor and Director of the Flexible Learner Path for the Second Degree in Elementary Education in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at North Carolina Central University’s School of Education
- Camryn Smith, Executive Director of Communities in Partnership
- Dr. Kay Jowers, Area Director of Just Environments, Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions and Kenan Institute for Ethics, Duke University
- Deric Boston, LCSW, Director of Head Start and Early Head Start at Families and Communities Rising, faculty member in the School of Social Work at North Carolina State University, mental health practitioner
- Dr. Jessica Sperling, Director of the Applied Research, Evaluation, & Engagement area in Duke University’s Social Science Research Institute and as Co-Director of Evaluation & Strategic Planning at Duke University’s Clinical and Translational Science Institute
2:30 PM – 2:40 PM: Closing remarks by Dr. Mina Silberberg, Associate Professor in the Duke Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, vice-chief for Research and Evaluation in the department’s division of Community Health, and Director of the Community Engaged Research Initiative at the Duke Clinical and Translational Science Institute
2:45 PM – 3:15 PM: Networking Session (break out rooms)
Questions about this past event? Contact the CESS Organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.