A participating nonprofit hires Duke students directly and pays the students through the nonprofit’s normal pay routine, with the understanding that work-study earnings are tax-exempt. Students receive paychecks through the nonprofit, not through Duke.
Both federal work-study and Duke work-study students are eligible to work for a participating nonprofit until they have earned their maximum work-study allocation.
For federal work-study students, the nonprofit is reimbursed for 90% of the student’s earnings and is responsible for the remaining 10%. For Duke work-study students, the nonprofit is reimbursed for 50% of the student’s earnings and is responsible for the remaining 50%.