VOLUNTEERS IN SERVICE TO AMERICA
Founded in 1964, AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program that lets citizens make a full-time, one-year commitment to fighting poverty by developing sustainable programs in local non-profit organizations. Participants receive a modest living stipend from the Corporation for National and Community Service and are eligible for an education award upon completion of their service year.
What does a VISTA do?
A VISTA assignment can include various roles and activities, depending on the needs of the organization or community:
- Building partnerships with community-based organizations
- Assessing community or organizational needs and assets
- Recruiting and training campus and community volunteers
- Developing systems to manage people, data, and performance
- Creating policies and procedures that increase agency effectiveness
- Supporting citizen and student leadership and participation in service
- Seeking new resources through fund-raising and grant-writing
- Facilitating service-learning placements, community-based research, co-curricular service, and national days of service
Martin Luther King Jr. Service Day
Our VISTA supports service opportunities at Duke and Durham. The Rotary Clubs and Duke’s Office of Durham and Community Affairs have organized the Million-meal event with the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
Afterschool Program Support
America Reads America Counts
The VISTA will work to expand afterschool programming in Durham through volunteer recruitment and to modify program design to fit volunteer and learner needs. The Corps member will work to enrich programming support through social media & communications strategies, evaluation of impact, and program design to best fit volunteer, learner, and community requests.
The AmeriCorps VISTA supports our community partnership with high schools through the Scholar Academy for Latinx United for Diversity.
In partnership with
AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve directly with nonprofit organizations to tackle our nation’s most pressing challenges.
NC Campus Compact’s AmeriCorps VISTA members support higher education’s community engagement mission and the VISTA mission of fighting poverty.