About the Program
Every year, the Duke Office of Durham and Community Affairs sponsors the regional qualifier for the Scripps National Spelling Bee. About 60 champion spellers from elementary and middle schools across Durham and Orange counties gather to compete for the regional title, and the Office of Durham and Community Affairs provides the champion and his/her family an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete in National Bee Week.
The Office of Durham and Community Affairs sponsors the bee to promote scholastic excellence and to encourage the love of letters, words, and language. The bee is always free and open to the public, and members of the community are encouraged to cheer on the competitors.
The Duke Office of Durham & Community Affairs is proud to be the official sponsor of the Scripps National Spelling Bee in our community for the 2021-2022 school year. Together, we can provide students with the opportunity to compete in the nation’s longest-running educational competition. Enroll your school today!
Each year, the Bee reaches millions of students across the country with the classroom and school materials that it provides to schools enrolled in its yearlong program. By enrolling your school, you receive access to these materials, including study lists, competition guides and instructions for conducting a school spelling bee program in one of three ways:
- In person at a traditional spelling bee event
- Virtually through a video conferencing platform like Zoom or Google Meet
- Virtually via online tests using the Bee’s Online Testing Platform
No matter how your school chooses to determine a spelling bee champion, all school champions at enrolled schools in our area will compete in Duke’s spelling bee program.
The Duke Regional Spelling Bee, our area’s national qualifier spelling bee, will take place in spring of 2022. The champion of our local competition will represent our region in the 2022 Scripps National Spelling Bee, which will take place in the Washington, D.C., area in May.
When you enroll your school at spellingbee.com and pay the $175 enrollment fee, you will receive exclusive online access to:
- Study lists with spellings and word meanings for grades 1-8,
- The 2022 Classroom Pronouncer Guide for administering classroom spelling bees,
- The 2022 School Pronouncer Guide for administering a school spelling bee,
- Access to the Bee’s Online Testing Platform for creating classroom- and school-level tests,
- Words of the Champions, the 4,000-word study resource for your school spelling bee champion,
- The Great Words, Great Works reading list with all source books for the School Spelling Bee Study List, organized by grade level,
- Supplemental word meaning materials for classroom and school levels,
- Award certificates for participants and your school champion, and
- Entrance for your school champion in Duke’s spelling bee program.
The Bee’s purpose is to help students improve their spelling, increase their vocabularies, learn concepts and develop correct English usage that will help them all their lives. In addition to the academic benefits, students also develop important life skills—like goal setting, time management and public speaking—that will help them as they advance in school and eventually to successful careers.
For nearly a century, the Bee has inspired a love of learning in students, and we are proud to continue bringing this opportunity to your students and highlighting the importance of academic achievement in our community.
The Bee Returns
Scripps National Spelling Bee
IS OUR NEXT CHAMPION IN YOUR CLASSROOM? Enroll your school in the spelling bee program for the 2021-2022 school year, and your school champion could compete for the Scripps Cup from the Washington, D.C., area.Learn more