Durham Teens Go Behind the Scenes at Duke Health

MaryAnn Black Internship explores 70+ careers

Area high school students went behind the scenes with Duke health care professionals to learn about more than 70 different health care careers. Thirty-one students, from eighteen schools, pursued their interests in health care careers by completing the 2024 MaryAnn Black Internship program.  

“I liked that we were always learning something…We were always moving, and I appreciated that we made the most out of our time while we were in the hospital,” said 2024 Intern Mina Zuhair.

The MaryAnn Black Internship experience is designed to expand students’ interest in the health care industry and to build a pipeline that meets the health care workforce shortages in our community. As in prior years, this 2024 education-to-career program was a collaboration between Duke Health and Durham YouthWorks. 

“The internship definitely made me more interested in working in a hospital setting because I thought the only jobs in the hospital were nurses and surgeons,” said participant Nyla Littlejohn.

More than 80 Duke employees volunteered to make the program a reality.

“The internship benefitted me by connecting me to mentors and specialties that I am interested in.”

Bhadresh Amarnath, 2024 MaryAnn Black Internship participant

In addition to learning about dozens of healthcare specialties from volunteers, the students also received general test-taking skills training, office and dining etiquette training, and receive hands-on experience while visiting areas in Duke’s School of Medicine, School of Nursing, and other campus locations.

“I liked how interactive the internship is. I’m glad we didn’t just do tours, but got hands on activities,” said Temiloluwa Yemi-Mabo.

The Duke University Health System (DUHS) has a long history of providing educational opportunities for Durham high school students, including the MaryAnn Black Summer Internship Program. The program name honors MaryAnn Black, a former State Representative, Durham County commissioner and Duke University Health System leader who for many years helped build strong connections between the health system and the local community.

Applications for the 2025 MaryAnn Black Summer Internship program will open in January 2025. To learn more about the MaryAnn Black Summer Internship Program contact Darla.wohlfarth@duke.edu.

Have a question? Get in touch today.