The Racial Equity Learning Arc, a cohort-based series of workshops created and facilitated by The Equity Paradigm, is open to Duke staff and faculty who have completed the Racial Equity Institute’s Phase I workshop (or a near equivalent). This six-session series is intended to connect people within a community to build on foundational knowledge to further develop critical consciousness around issues of race.
The application for the Fall 2021 cohort is closed. Please check back for upcoming sessions.
Key objectives for the 6-session Learning Arc:
1. Establish and continue building a shared language and socio-historical context around race, equity, and inclusion (developed in REI Phase I) that creates the conditions for faculty and staff members to operate in meaningful ways that disrupt inequity.
2. Provide opportunities to expand Duke’s learning community around racial equity.
3. Deeply examine the relationship between power and whiteness, and interrogate the ways in which racism and white supremacy manifest in outcomes and experiences individually, interpersonally, institutionally, systemically, and culturally.
4. Draw connections between personal lived experiences, norms and behaviors to the broader context of structural power, privilege and oppression.
5. Build competency around anti-racist organizational development and begin developing goals and strategies that holistically improve equitable outcomes and experiences in offices and programs across Duke.
About the Facilitators
The Equity Paradigm is a group of diversity practitioners, adult learning facilitators, researchers, organizers, change agents, and passionate social justice activists who are dedicated to equipping mission-driven leaders and organizations with the language, tools, mindsets and strategies for holistically advancing equity in their spheres of influence. In doing so, we focus on building context through a historical and systemic analysis of the disparities and social ills plaguing our society, allowing our clients to develop more meaningful and impactful solutions and approaches to their most complex challenges.